Friday, October 11, 2013

National Coming Out Day

Yesterday was October 11. Many of you know this as National Coming Out Day. For those of you who didn't know, now you do. This day marks something very important to me. Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of when I came out publicly. And by publicly, I mean that I wrote a rediculously long Facebook post and answered a hell of a lot of questions. Now, not everyone will feel comfortable doing that. I went about it in this manner because I have a lot of friends who live far away (some are international) and I wouldn't be able to tell them face-to-face. I also knew that my friends wouldn't have an issue with me telling them this. I'm so glad I was able to come out and receive such a positive response from the people I care about. For those who are able to come out in safe environments, I'm happy for you. For those who can't come out or are afraid to, I understand. I'm still scared to come out to my family. Just know that it does get better and there are plenty of people out there who love you, myself included, Yes, I love all of you. Remember that you don't have to come out if you're not ready. This is something only you can do.

If anyone wants to talk to me about coming out, or really anything, send an email to realqueerlife@gmail.com. I love hearing from you all. If you have a question or comment that isn't deeply personal, leave it in the comments section below. You'll be hearing more from me soon.

Lots of love,
Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment